Thursday, February 23, 2012

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2012


Uncovering Sin

Scripture:  Psalm 51:10-11 
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from your presence, and do not take your holy spirit from me.

     "...But Ma, she hit me first. 
     Tiffney, I don't care who hit whom first.  I have told you time 
     and time again, do not hit anyone.  If someone hits you, I 
     expect you to tell me or your Daddy... 
     But Ma... 
     But nothing...  I have spoken..."

When I reflect on this exchange between my Mother and myself when I was little, I still struggle.  As I have matured and evolved, my conflicts have evolved.  I was a rambunctious child and would quickly defend myself and those whom I loved.   In many ways, this characteristic still holds to be true.  I struggle because, when someone harms me or someone that I love, my instinct is to issue my own form of justice.  As I have aged, I have come to the realization that when I engage in the behavior of my foes, I become just as sinful as they are...I become one of them.   

Recently when I encountered a situation in which I was treated unjustly, I found myself reading and praying portions of Psalm 51 daily.  Eventually, I found myself confessing my own sins.  I found myself laying my hurts, my anger, my disappointments, my bitterness, my DESIRE to retaliate before God...  Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, place a new and right Spirit within me.  Do not take your Spirit away from me...return the Joy of your salvation back to me...

Prayer:  Holy One, thank you for your love & your forgiveness.  When we feel victimized, free us from the temptation of sin.  Amen.
The Reverend Tiffney Marley

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/