Friday, November 30, 2012

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2012



THE GIFT OF INTERCESSION

1 Thessalonians 3:12-13

A few years ago a good friend asked me what she could give me for my birthday. It occurred to me that what I desired most was her prayers, for me. And so we agreed that on the 21st of every month in that year, she would offer me the gift of her intercession. What a generous  expression of her love for me.

In today’s scripture, the Apostle Paul’s love for the church he has planted in Thessalonica, overflows in intercession, “may the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other and for everyone else, just as ours does for you. May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when the Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.” 1Thess. 3: 12-13

There is a lot of buzz about gifts right now. Almost every store assures us that they have the best selection of gifts. But in this season, as we reflect on God’s generous gift of love, we can resist the lure of giving only temporal gifts. We can offer our family, our friends, our neighbors, and our community, the gift of intercession. Andrew Murray was correct when he wrote, “True love will pray.” 

Today invite the Holy Spirit to give you a list of people that you can love through Advent, by praying each day for one of them. Your prayers of intercession will be an extension of Christ’s  intercession work in  their lives . This is eternal gift giving.



PRAYER:
“Teach me to pray Lord, teach me to pray. This is my heart cry day unto day. I long to know Your will and Your way. Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray.” Albert  Reitz

THE REVEREND JOANNE BROWNE JENNINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/