Tuesday, March 27, 2012

TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2012


Clean Heart

Scripture:  Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.  Psalm 51:10

Many women know all about having a big pretty purse.  We also know the feeling of having too many things in the purse and not being able to find what we need!  My sister, like me, is a person who carries a big purse with a bunch of stuff in it.  One day, as we walked in the house, I carried her purse in.  In between our pleasant conversation, I told her, “Sis, what do you have in here, girl, your purse is so heavy!”  

She told me, “I need to clean it out! It is full of a bunch of stuff and usually I can’t find what I need.”
While we enjoy the spaciousness of our large purses, sometimes we can fill them with too many unnecessary items.  Sometimes,  our  hearts are like purses that carry too much in them: too many desires, emotions, and perceptions.  Our heart is the center of our spiritual life!  

Has your heart ever felt heavy?  Our hearts are filled with many dilemmas, some of which we desire to change.  Like those purses, we find that the hearts are filled with good things, but sometimes we can’t find them because we have other things in the way.  

The Psalmist was able to unload and empty her heart before God in repentance and consequently, make room for God’s grace, love, mercy, peace and joy.  How might we do the same when we have missed the mark or have heavy hearts?   Through the gift of repentance and surrender to God we can find a place of peace through emptying.  More than emptying we can find a place where God can create a new heart in us!  Let us empty our purses (hearts)!  May our hearts be freed from the overload of sin. May we welcome the Lord inside of those broken places within us.  Wherever God is there is life and freedom!

Prayer:  
Dear Lord, I thank you for your love and care.  I open my heart to you this day and ask that you will come in and heal the broken places and transform any hard places within me into an oasis of abundant life.  Thank you for the gift of forgiveness and surrender.  Amen.

 The Reverend Everdith Landrau

1 comment:

  1. EVIE! You have always been a girl after my own heart. What a personal and beautiful reflection ~ one that captured me as soon as I began reading. I thank God upon every thought of you and your witness.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/