Monday, March 5, 2012

MONDAY, MARCH 5, 2012

“What’s your name?”


Focus Verse: “No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you the ancestor of a multitude of nations…” (Gen. 17:5)

Across cultures and languages, introductions follow a basic pattern. “Good morning! My name is__________. What’s your name?” How have you responded over the years? When I worked in a preschool classroom, I told the children my name was Jenn or Ms. Jenn. As a child, I introduced myself as Jennifer because my mother believed firmly that children should be called what they are named and named what they will be called. As a social work intern at a high school, I was Ms. Manis.

Each of these names not only reflected the nature of my relationship with the other person, but also conveyed a sense of how I was to act – the responsibilities and obligations which stemmed from this relationship.

In Abram’s encounter herewith the Creator, the typical introduction pattern is disregarded. “I am God Almighty,” speaks our Lord (v. 1). Rather than pausing to let Abram introduce himself, the Eternal Covenant Maker tells Abram his name. “No longer shall your name be Abram, but your name shall be Abraham…” (v. 5).

Even though this is not the first time Abram and the Lord meet, an introduction occurs. The Creator not only renames Abram; the Creator also embraces a new name, “God Almighty” (v.1). These new names proclaim a new relationship, a covenantal relationship which requires both parties to live out a new understanding of who they are because of this relationship.

In the waters of baptism, the Holy One calls, renames, and renews us. God calls us into relationship with an introduction and renaming: “I am the Lord your God and you are my child.” Like Abram, this proclamation and covenantal relationship transforms us.

Go, child of God. Live into your new name. Let your life proclaim whose you are!

Prayer: Eternal Covenant Maker, you call us and name us your children. Make us bold to call on you, Merciful Parent. Empower us to live into the glory of your promise each day. Amen.

Jennifer M. Manis

2 comments:

  1. Listen to this hymn as well. Know you are embraced by the Creator, Savior, and Sanctifier who calls us each by name.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgm9lkTNQmc

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, as I reflect on what it means to "be" I who I am, I can remember a time when I didn't know how to be my "self." It was when I recognized that God is with me just because I am loved - me, my "self". Imagine that. He calls me by name, I am God's daughter, and God knows me, my true self is inscribed upon the palm of God's hand and my true self is loved in immeasurable and incomprehensible proportions! SELAH.

    Thank you, Jenn - Ms. Jenn - Jennifer - Ms. Manis, for reminding of the blessings of knowing who we are through Christ. How appropriate for a season in which to turn our hearts fully toward the savior who made it all possible.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/