Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday, June 11, 2012


Change Can Feel Good!

Scripture:  1 Samuel 15:34- 16:13 The LORD said to Samuel, “How long will you mourn for Saul, since I have rejected him as king over Israel? Fill your horn with oil and be on your way; I am sending you to Jesse of Bethlehem. I have chosen one of his sons to be king.”- 1 Samuel 16:1

Worship Music:
"Feeling Good", By Nina Simone. By Leslie Bricusse. Piano Vocal. 8 pages. Published by Cherry Lane Music (HL.354090)



One Monday, six years ago, I awoke to discover that I could neither walk nor feel my body below the waist. A sleepwalking fall sometime during the night badly injured my back. Three days later terrible, soul-killing pain started in my foot; doctors diagnosed it as permanent and incurable.

Needless to say, in the days and months to follow, I cycled through repeated stages of grief: denial, depression / anger, bargaining, acceptance and back again.  Greater than my justice issues was my guilt, surprisingly, and my feelings of utter uselessness. How could I serve God with excellence when I could not walk or drive, or when pain made it impossible for me to concentrate; I was at a loss because the perimeters by which I measured my life had fallen away. I was drowning, and looking for anything, anyone who could return a measure of control to my broken, bleeding life. Times of change, grief, fear and uncertainty can scare us back to the status quo, even when such a choice is to our detriment.

Today’s reading tells us about Saul’s downfall and David’s pronouncement as king. God called on the prophet Samuel to proffer the exchange.

Samuel knew Saul; Saul was not a particularly good King, nonetheless he was familiar, so it grieved Samuel greatly for God to reject him and instruct Samuel to anoint another king. Samuel grieved for the missed opportunities, for the coming drama and even for the personal danger this mission brought.  God knew his heart, but eventually grew impatient with Saul for continuing to embrace what God had rejected.

When faced with change, good or bad, we must learn to trust the God of the future with our future.  God’s “I AM – ness” assures us that we need not fear the future nor hold on to the past.  The God who has the whole world under control has our future in control, and when we trust God, fully, we can face the uncertainty of the future, our “New Day”  feeling good!

Prayer:  Lord of all eternity, we thank you that you have our futures carefully ensconced in your hands,  and regardless to the situation You are working in it for our good!  In Jesus’ Name, AMEN.

The Reverend Dr. Cynthia McCullough

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/