Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday, August 5, 2012

"IF IT WERE A SNAKE IT WOULD HAVE BITTEN YOU!"

Scripture:  John 6:24-25

What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.
As a child, my mother frequently sent me to find things for her, and when I went to the spot she told me to look, I did a quick glance over and called out,” Momma! I can’t find it!” My short attention span, impatience, and tendency to overlook details caused me to glaze over the item I was looking for. My mother would come behind me, look for a second, find the item, and say, “girl if it were a snake it would have jumped up and bit you!”

As opposed to the synoptic gospels, the gospel of John Jesus states explicitly who he is, He is the bread of life, He is the door, he is the way the truth and the life. He repeats these phrases throughout the book, so it should be no surprise to the people when he doesn’t perform signs and wonders, because his very presence is the sign and the wonder.  The people wanted signs, something external, something tangible, like the manna from heaven--not realizing the gift of God in front of them.

PrayerGod in our human sensibilities, open up our hearts to the super natural. Allow us to see both the tangible and intangible signs that you give us, and show us how to respond. God give us the vision and sight to see you when you are right in front of us. Remove the blocks and clouds that have us searching for everything except for what you have put right in front of us. When you call to us, we will answer.

The Reverend Emma Akpan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/