Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

STRIPPED

ScripturePsalm 51: 1-12

Have mercy on me, o God, 
according to your steadfast love;  
according to your abundant mercy 
blot out my transgressions…
create in me a clean heart, O God,
and put a new and right spirit within me.

When I am around new people, out of fear, I try my best to hide my faults.  As I feel more comfortable, the layers slowly come off.  It’s difficult to expose my complete self because I cannot be sure if people are going to hurt me or love me. I often ask myself, "Will they judge me?"

The good news is when I call out to God in the way that David does in Psalm 51, he already knows everything about me.  His love is purely unconditional.  Even if God is annoyed with me, he will not forsake me.  Even if he is ashamed of my behavior, his mercy overtakes my sin.

Invitation:  David offered this Psalm after intentionally taking Uriah's wife and then causing him to be killed.  This was a terrible act; however, it was forgivable.  What actions or attitudes from your past or present have you been holding on to in fear that God would reject you?  Denounce your sins, forsake your imperfections and pray this Psalm:
Have mercy on me, o God, 
according to your steadfast love;  
according to your abundant mercy 
blot out my transgressions…
create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me.
In the name of Jesus Christ, you are forgiven.  Glory to God.

PrayerCleansing God, thank you for stripping our layers so that we can be purified. Thank you for your abundant mercy and love which covers the multitude of my sin.  Most of all, thank you for placing your Holy Spirit within me.  Amen.

Emma Akpan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/