Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday, April 19, 2012

HELLOOOO...!


Scripture:  Psalm 4:1  Answer me when I call, O God of my right! You gave me room when I was in distress. Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.

"Hellooo, it’s meee…  Helloo, it’s meee.."

The story of Bright Stanley, the little gold fish, is favored by my children.  "Helloo, it's meee..." is Stanley's cry of distress as he seeks to be reunited with his friends (school) in the great bit ocean.  As I read Bright Stanley to my children each night, my heart breaks for little Stanley as he tries to find his way in the vast blue sea.  He is overwhelmed and his experience is not much different from our own yearnings for clear direction in life.  Bright Stanley is vulnerable and is forced to stare in the face of his own mortality as he tries to find his way.

Often as we think of Easter, we visualize the resurrected and glorified Christ who has all power in His hands.  Jesus was raised from the dead and the Divine hope is for us to experience signs of resurrection in our everyday lives.  Resurrection is not intended to be distant reality.

The truth is as we struggle in our relationships, as we toggle the uncertainties of financial instability, as we stare into the face of our own mortality, maybe we feel great anguish, maybe resurrection and new life seem very far away from us.   

Similar to the Psalmist in our text, we are crying out to God, “Answer me when I call”…”Hellooo, it’s me…!”  Lord hear my prayer.  Lord where are you?  Where can I find you?

Prayer:  Oh God  we cry out for you.  Hear us when we call.  We yearn for your touch, we long to see your face.  Help us to recognize signs of your resurrection in every aspect of our lives, especially when we feel lost and disconnected from your presence.  Amen.

 The Reverend Tiffney Marley



No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/