Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Life Through the Spirit

Scripture:  Romans 8:6--...to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.


"Abide in Me" by Kimberly and Alberto Rivera


Today’s passage offers very clear guidelines for discerning what is of the Spirit and what is of the flesh. I wonder if we are able to do so as easily in our daily lives. Could you use more peace within your life? Would you like greater fulfillment in your life? The wisdom of the matter is this: life and peace will not come through circumstances. It can only come from a thriving and fruitful relationship with the Triune God. 

As we embark upon today’s journey towards Pentecost, this is an ideal time to set our minds on the Spirit. We find same this sentiment echoed throughout the scriptures:

  • Jeremiah 29:13--And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
  • Amos 5:4--This is what the LORD says to the house of Israel: "Seek me and live;
  • Proverbs 8:17--I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me. 
This theme of divine invitation emerges as a gracious extension of God’s love. In praying with and for the Holy Spirit, we discover that we are already responding to this invitation!
 
Invitation:
In today’s reading, Paul teaches us that to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace! Can you cultivate an atmosphere that ushers you into a mindset of worship or praise? Perhaps music, art, dancing, playing, creating, taking a walk, or speaking with a kindred spirit? Are there ways in which you can incorporate more of these elements into your life? If so, you may be amazed to discover that as you set your mind on the Spirit, more life and peace will abound in every area of your life.

PrayerHoly God, I thank you for teaching me today that it is the Spirit that brings life and peace and none other. I thank you for making that distinction crystal clear for me today. Help me to identify the areas of my life that do no bear the life and peace of your Holy Spirit, and help me to transform those dead areas of my life into wellsprings of your Spirit. Thank you Lord, for teaching me that every effort that I make to seek you will be rewarded with your presence. Increase my appetite for the things of the Spirit today Lord. Bless me with a hunger and a thirst for the things that lead to you. And I will live to proclaim your praise! Amen.

    Elder Leslie Nambo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/