Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunday, May 20, 2012


I'm Covered!

Scripture:  John 17: 13-15

Somebody prayed for me, had me on their mind,
they took the time and prayed for me.
I’m so glad they prayed (2x),
I’m so glad they prayed for me.

As a child, I remember singing a song entitled, “Somebody Prayed for Me” by Dorothy Norwood. The lyrics of the song later pay homage to the mother and the preacher who prayed for her. I recall gleefully singing this song, joyful that “somebody” had prayed for me!  It is a great feeling to know that even when we don’t have the minds to pray for ourselves, we are covered by the prayers of others interceding on our behalf. We’re covered! 

In our scripture, Jesus prays for the disciples and asks for their protection. I believe that His prayer for the disciples extends to us today. It reminds us that not only are our mothers and the preacher praying for us, but Jesus is also standing in the gap to ensure our protection. We’re covered!

Prayer:  My Lord and my God, despite the magnitude of evil that exists in this world and its persistence I experience all around me, I rejoice in the assurance that I am protected by your presence and your power. I’m covered!

 The Reverend Regina C. Groff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/