Monday, May 21, 2012

Monday, May 21, 2012


By the Spirit of the Lord

Scripture: Ezekial 37:4--Then He said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them: O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord.

\
"Your Heart" by Kimberly and Alberto Rivera

In today’s passage, we witness Israel in a somber light. By her own admission, “Her hope” was lost, she was spiritually dead (v.11). In response, Ezekiel was taken away into the spiritual realm to receive instructions for the people of Israel. While there, God issues a divine invitation- to prophesy. The hope of Israel, which had been lost, would miraculously come together and be given new life.
This theme of divine invitation abounds throughout the holy scriptures as we consider God’s invitation to co-create extended to Adam (Genesis 2:19). We recall God’s divine invitation to covenant relation extended to the people of Israel (Leviticus 26:12). This divine invitation to birth the Word of God, as Mary responds “be it unto me according to thy word” (Luke 1:38). 
 
Today, God’s invitation to Ezekiel reinforces God’s preference for the use of prophecy in communicating with humanity. As we reflect upon the miraculous power of God’s prophetic word in our reading from Ezekiel,  may we come to realize the power available to us through this mode of communication with God.  May we grow more sensitive to the prophetic utterances of God in our own lives and within our communities. 

INVITATION:
This week, as we prepare for Pentecost, the breathing of the Holy Spirit upon our lives, let us remember God’s invitation to Ezekiel to prophesy. Today, reflect upon the areas within your life that may seem dead. Where have you lost hope? Where are the dry bones in your life? 
Then receive God’s invitation “to prophesy”.  Speak the Word of God over those areas, and, like Ezekiel, allow God’s Spirit to breathe life once again, into areas that you thought to be long ago dead.  May we, like Ezekiel, prophesy to those dry bones and say to them “O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord!”

Prayer:  Gracious God, in the midst of a loud and noisy world it is sometimes difficult to discern the whispering of your still small voice.  Today, please increase my discernment so that I may clearly hear you speaking. I want to be so close with you that you are able to take me away in the Spirit like you did with Ezekiel. I want to be so close with you that when you tell me to prophesy, I will be quick to obey, trusting that you will provide the words, as I open my mouth in faith. Deliver me from unbelief and fear Lord.  Bless me today with the courage to prophesy to every valley of dry bones in my life and within my community. Amen.

  Elder Leslie Nambo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/