Thursday, May 24, 2012

Thursday, May 24, 2012



The Power of the Holy Spirit

Scripture:  John 15:26--When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father—the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father—he will testify about me.

In Today’s passage, we receive valuable insight into the person-hood and function of the Holy Spirit. As we continue to reflect upon the early believers of Christ, we can imagine a community reeling from perceived failures as well as victories. They would no longer interact with their Messiah in the ways in which they had grown accustomed. They would now have to relate to God in new ways. In anticipation of this transition, Jesus reveals another great mystery to them, the baptism of the Holy Spirit.  Rather than their circumstances being radically transformed, they themselves would be transformed.
This transforming power is introduced as the Advocate and the Spirit of Truth. We come to understand the Holy Spirit as living and active, personal and powerful.

The Greek term for Advocate is Paraklétos and is defined as a divine adviser, intercessor or helper. “The Spirit of Truth” is defined as alétheia meaning reality or divine truth. The ultimate source of truth of course, is God and since God is truth, we come to understand the Holy Spirit as the third person of the Holy Trinity. 

Since the adversary is known as “the accuser of the brethren”, Jesus’ use of this terminology conveys more than simply a helper. In a heavenly court, facing a determined prosecutor, our Advocate is our divinely empowered lawyer!

I wonder if any of us are being required to relate to God in new ways in this season. I wonder how many of us need to be reminded today of the Holy Spirit’s ability to advocate for us and to reveal the God’s truth in our circumstances. Perhaps today, you are in need of an advocate, adviser and helper. Whatever your transition, this day, allow the Holy Spirit to testify about the goodness, faithfulness and ultimate victory of Jesus Christ in your lives. 

PrayerLord, thank you for teaching me today about the power of the Holy Spirit. Thank you for teaching me today that your Holy Spirit is a reliable counselor, helper, and divine advocate. Lord, you have not left me exposed to the wiles of the adversary.  You have provided me with all the help that I need, your very spirit within me. Your word says that if God is for me, who can be against me. Help me to rely upon that word when I am in the middle of trials. When I am being harassed and persecuted by the adversary, I thank you for providing the Holy Spirit as a powerful and righteous advocate. Thank you Lord! Amen.

    Elder Leslie Nambo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/