Tuesday, November 27, 2012

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 27, 2012



SIGNS  

Luke 21: 25-26, 29-31

Road signs have been around as long as humans have been navigating through ancient pathways.  Yet, recently I found myself stumped by them during a driver's license renewal test.   I had reviewed the various road signs prior to the test, because I knew that some of them are not so easy to decipher. However, what I did not anticipate was that my vision had changed. I couldn’t actually see some of the signs that I had studied, as I viewed them through the testing instrument. I needed stronger glasses to see the signs. 

Our text seeks to provide the lenses we need to discern the signs that will precede the coming of the Son of Man, and His kingdom. When we see a radical reordering of the cosmos and unprecedented changes in nature,  these are our ‘road signs’, pointing to the One who is coming, so that the lion can lie with the lamb. 

Natural disasters often cause us to pause and wonder, ‘where is God in this’?  The stronger glasses given to us in this text, help us to see these as smaller signs, precursors of the road signs that will herald our coming King.

And so in this week of preparation, we pray with our eyes open, for the signs of His coming already in our midst.

Prayer :  Lord may your kingdom come, and may your will be done on earth, in us, as it is in heaven. And open our eyes to see it. Amen

THE REVEREND JOANNE BROWNE JENNINGS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/