Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday, April 23, 2012

Theme: Shepherd me God
Scripture:  Psalm 23: 1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing

Shepherd me God, was my prayer early in my ministry. I continue to ask God to lead and guide me in my journey. I can remember some years ago I was challenged by a “season preacher” regarding me preaching from the 23 Psalm. I was a guest preacher at a church in Bridgeport, Connecticut on Sunday and the pastor was away. An associate minister greeted me and led me to the pastor’s study and left me to prepare for service. Upon his return we had a general conversation, and then he inquired about the scripture I would be preaching from for the service. I said Psalm 23, he said “you can’t preach from that text because you are not old enough and don’t have life experiences to give it any meaning.” My response was “with all due respect, you do not know me, or my life challenges.”
Knowing God at an early age saved me, because God has shepherded me through some very difficult times as a child, teen, young adult and adult. Psalm 23 does not have restrictions for who it applies too. It crosses all bearers’ age, race, gender, class, socio- economic statues and culture. I would like to share how the Native American version of the 23rd Psalm

The Great Father above is a Shepherd Chief. I am His and with Him I want not.


He throws out to me a rope
and the name of the rope is Love
and He draws me to where the grass is green
and the water not dangerous
and I eat and am satisfied.
Sometimes my heart is very weak
and falls down
but He lifts me up again
and draws me into a good road.
His name is Wonderful.
Sometime, and it may be very soon,
it may be very long, long in time
He will draw me into a valley.
It is dark there, but I'll be afraid not,
for it is in between those mountains
that the Shepherd Creator will meet me
and the hunger that I have in my heart
all through this life will be satisfied.
He gives me a staff to lean upon.
He spreads a table before me
with all kinds of food.
He puts His hand upon my head
and all the "tired" is gone.
My cup He fills till it runs over.
What I tell is true.
I lie not.
These roads that are away ahead
will stay with me through life and after,
and afterwards I will go to live
in the Big Tepee and sit down
with the Shepherd Chief forever.
So be it.

~Author Unknown


Prayer – Continue to shepherd us God when we sometimes go astray.  Send Grace and Mercy to nurture us and keep us from harm and danger. Amen.

 
The Reverend Betty A. Brown






Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/