Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Keep Your Commitment

Scripture:  Luke 24: 50-53

Since my daughter’s interest has shifted to soccer, she absolutely despises her gymnastics class. While she loved it for the first year, the second year has been a struggle. She particularly does not understand why I make her stay enrolled somewhere she does not want to be. Of course, the main reason is because we have a contract, but also, I have been teaching my children the importance of following through on their commitments.

I can imagine that the disciples were not interested in staying somewhere they did not want to be. For one, they were fugitives and were hoping that Jesus would rescue them and take them with Him. However, Jesus tells the disciples to “stay in the city until [they] have been clothed with power from on high.” I can only imagine that the disciples were not pleased, but after Jesus blessed them and they had worshipped, they returned to Jerusalem and stayed at the temple praising God.

The disciples had made a commitment to follow Christ all the way. It wasn’t until after they had worshipped Him and continually praised that they were empowered to keep their commitment. If you are having trouble keeping your commitment to Jesus, try worshipping and continually praising Him. 

Prayer:  Most Gracious God, I am grateful for the opportunity to serve You. I realize that sometimes I fall short of my commitment to You. I pray that through continually worshipping and praising You, I will be empowered to keep my commitment to serve You.

 The Reverend Dr. Regina C. Groff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/