Monday, June 4, 2012

Monday, June 4, 2012


WAITING...
Scripture:  Psalm 130:3-6
If you, LORD, kept a record of sins,
   Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness,
   so that we can, with reverence, serve you.
 I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits,
   and in his word I put my hope.
 I wait for the Lord
   more than watchmen wait for the morning,
   more than watchmen wait for the morning.
I do not think I am crazy- although I would not completely rule out the possibility- but one night recently, I believe I heard the voice of God. It was a whisper that forcefully pulled me from fitful sleep; a whisper that said, “I am waiting.” I sat up in my bed and I tried to rationalize away what I’d heard, or rather, what I thought I’d heard. It was a strange imageless dream induced by too much Mexican food, perhaps. It was my bladder sending a curt message to my brain that it was time to visit the bathroom, maybe. After successfully reassuring myself that I had not actually heard anything, I went back to sleep. But those words have stayed with me. Haunting me. Whenever I sit in contemplative silence, whenever I bow my head to pray, the words come flooding back to me, “I am waiting.” Finally, one day I responded. My journal entry weeks later read:

Holy God,

what exactly are you waiting for?
Amen.

I wrote this prayer with much self-righteousness and indignation for what more could God possibly want from me? I had already committed myself to service to God, I had given God the only thing that I had- my life. What is left? What could He possibly be waiting for?!

But as I reflected on my life, on my attitude, on my actions, on my inactions I had been found wanting. There is much that God is waiting on from me. The blessed God of Israel for whom the prophets spoke of mercy, of freedom and release is waiting for me to show the same mercy for His people, waiting for me to see the suffering of this world and to really care. The blessed God of Israel, who with “unfailing love and full of redemption,”  is waiting for me to follow that path up and down mountains and valleys of forgiveness and reconciliation. He is waiting for me.

This psalm tells us to wait on the Lord with hope but there in verse three, the Psalmist illustrates that God is waiting for us. Waiting to forgive us. Waiting to guide us. Waiting, even more than a watchmen waiting for the morning. Because if he did not wait for us, we could not stand. And so, as I see myself as I truly am, I can only cry out of the depths to my Lord, “Please, God, wait for me.”

Prayer:  Again.  Please, God, wait for me.  Amen.

The Reverend Tiffany Thomas







No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/