Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday, June 2, 2012


Adopted

Scripture:  Romans 8:12-17


Abba, Father

I have a dear friend, John, who is adopted. That in itself is marginally important. But the peculiar thing about his whole family is that everyone including his wife and four if his five children are adopted. Their last child is their biological child, and on finding out felt out of sorts because she was different and not special because she wasn’t adopted. Imagine that! 

There is something about being adopted that spells special, that says someone looked around and chose me, I didn’t just come about even if there was hope for my being born. While there is something special about being chosen for adoption, usually it takes the adoptee time to adjust to the new environment and trust enough to call the adoptive parents “Mum” or “Dad”. You’ve no doubt seen the scene on TV many times. The world seems to stop in that brief moment when the affectionate title is conferred on the caretakers and then it is followed by a shift in the relationship that comes with mutual acceptance. 

Friends, stop tippy-toeing around shuttling between works-righteousness and living into the fullness of grace that has been offered to you by being adopted, chosen by the spirit to become God’s child and inheritor of the riches of heaven.  While God can wait until you get it, see how much you’ll miss by dilly dallying; by serving the law, which only pays wages in death of the soul in small doses. Say no to the death dealing ways of living according to the law of the flesh and the walk of fear; say yes instead to the call of the Spirit that testifies to your spirit that you have been adopted and made a joint heir with Christ our Savior. Make your Father’s heart glad by boldly calling him “Paa”.

Here's a link to a wonderful song on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReyopJalSDs

Prayer:  Dear Lord, help me to know that I can commit minutest details of my life to you because you are my Father and you love me well. Help me live fully into that love that it may change me and make me into the image of the Christ who calls you "Abba". Amen

 Dr. Esther Acolatse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/