Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

REST

ScriptureHe said to them, “Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest a while.”  Mark 6:31a

I’m writing this reflection after being away from the office for a short vacation.  I didn’t go anywhere in particular; I just wanted to be at home.  I wanted to wake up at a slow pace in the morning and have the opportunity to sit by the window to read a book or to take a stroll through Central Park.  It was a wonderful time and I realized how much I had been neglecting this part of my life and ministry.  

My first year in a new parish had brought many wonderful moments but also its share of challenges.  My body was tired.  My mind, heart, and spirit were all exhausted.

Jesus seemed to understand this dilemma – the challenge to both work and rest.  He was often finding time to be away by himself or with a small group of followers.  Hear his word of invitation: "Come away to a deserted place all by yourselves and rest for a while.”  What beautiful music to the soul!

Jesus instructs the disciples and us to take some time to be renewed and to be re-created in whatever forms that might take.   Most often in the gospels we hear him say to the disciples “go” and to the crowds "go" – go into the world; go be my witnesses; go the extra mile.  But today, Jesus says “Come away” and be with me.  Come find rest.

Are you feeling tired?  Weary?  Burnt out and about ready to drop?  Don’t forget to tend to yourself and perhaps develop a plan of care for the remainder of this year and beyond.  Think of it as a gift to yourself but also to those around you with whom you live, work, and serve.  Everyone will be better for it, I’m sure.

PrayerGod of Rest, help us to lay aside everything so we might be still in your presence for just a little while.  Amen. 

The Reverend Dr. Cathy Gilliard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/