Saturday, July 21, 2012

Saturday, July 21, 2012

THE GOOD SHEPHERD

Scripture:  The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1

Matchless in beauty and form, the 23rd Psalm is probably the most quoted scripture in the Bible.  It touches the core of who we are as human beings and our need to be comforted and assured. 

This familiar Psalm has been on the lips of humanity, Christians and non-Christians alike for centuries as they faced life's challenges and walked through the darkest valleys of life and death.  Its soothing lyrics are rehearsed by gravesides of loved ones while we ponder “how will we go on from here?” 

My belief is that if we allowed our entire theology to be wrapped up in this one verse, "
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want", maybe that would enough. Maybe if we were somehow able to live it out day by day in profound and personal ways, that would be all we needed. 

Because you see, embedded in this theology is the assurance of a matchless God who looks out for us and tends to us.  This God protects us from harm and restores us when we are tired and battered by life.  Shepherd God is never far away but always listening, watching and making sure our needs are met.  When the enemy – the wolfs and the bears of the world come after us they can only come so close because the Shepherd stands guard and is able to fight them off. 

The Shepherd is mine and I am his and because of that claim, I can settle down some.  I can let go of my grip.  I can release my fears and worries.  I can focus on the important things of life trusting that the Shepherd provides everything.  Imagine that…imagine that! 

PrayerLord, you are my Shepherd and I shall not want.  Amen. 

The Reverend Dr. Cathy Gilliard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/