Sunday, March 25, 2012

SUNDAY, MARCH 25, 2012


The Love of Our Father

Scripture:  John 3:14-21

My three year old son often rejects my attempts to do loving things for him.  I try to put on his coat when it is cold outside and he rebels.  At meals, it is a battle to coax him to eat nourishing food.   He often resists hugs, baths, sleep and clothing.  It is as if he suspects I do not want good things for him.   Similarly, today's scripture reading speaks of God offering us profound love which we can receive or reject.  The verses from John's Gospel reflect on the creche and the cross, the reality that God sent his Son to be born among us and eventually to suffer death by crucifixion.  All of this was done not to condemn us but to help us understand how deeply we are loved by God.  What is expected of us is belief because by believing God did this for us, we receive salvation.  In contrast, our minds can be filled with thoughts that we are unlovable, that life is futile and our existence meaningless.  No one should have to endure suspicions like this, needless to say believe them! Yet, like my three year old, skeptical thoughts often plague our minds.  To combat this spirit of skepticism, try to pray this simple prayer several times as you go about your day.

Prayer:  
God our Father,
I believe Jesus came to die for me.  I know you love me.  I love you and I want to serve you today. 
Amen

 Mary Beth Beauchamp

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/