Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sunday, July 22, 2012

GOODNESS

Scripture:  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life…Psalm 23:6a

I am a proverbial optimist. I like to think I have always been that way but I've really worked hard at it over the past few years.  Every day is a day of grace - another opportunity to experience all the good I can.

There are some things in life that happen as a result of our hard work and careful attention to things that matter.  Other things are the result of bad mistakes, thoughtless decisions, and poor judgments.  And then there are those things that just happen - we didn't do or say anything, all our best efforts failed, and situations were beyond our control. 

Either way - life is what it is. You've heard that expression: "It is what it is"? Well, it's true. "IT" is what “IT” is.  The question becomes, how will we respond to “IT”?  What are our options?  How will we move forward?   

My guess is that the “good” far outweighs the “bad.”  Here is the challenge: look for the good every day regardless. You may have to look long and hard but it’s there somewhere and well worth finding. 


PrayerGracious Lord, your goodness and mercy are constant companions.  May your children have no need of want this day.  Amen.   

The Reverend Dr. Cathy Gilliard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/