Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday, July 5, 2012

A Time to Listen

Scripture:  Ezekiel 2:5

It’s 7:30am and the tardy bell rings, It’s time for class to start, but what do I see, I see the ear buds, cellphones, headphones, protruding from the ears of infant intellects pretending to be high school students.  Instruction begins, but who is listening? Their eyes may be focused attentively, but did anyone hear the instructions? Was anyone actually listening?

It’s evident when someone asks a question after a prolonged period of inactivity.” What did you say or what are we supposed to be doing? “My heart is in deep despair concerning this generation of hearers versus listeners. 

Join me is asking God the following questions:
     Lord, am I guilty of this same behavior when it comes to your instruction?  
     Am I positioned to hear your voice in stillness of the day?  
     Am I tuning you out and listening to something else besides you?    
    
Prayer:  Lord, please forgive my inability to listen to you when you are speaking. Help me to tune my ears to your voice and blot out any distractions that threaten our connection to one another.  Amen.

The Reverend Antoinette Daye

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Resources

http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/